What You'll Need:
1 package Vanilla Cake Mix
3.3 ounces (1/2 package) Whipped Topping Mix
1-1/2 cups warm water
1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
1 cup chilled water
3/4 cup sugar-free apricot jam or preserves
Yields: One 4-layer cake or 20 slices
- Preheat conventional oven to 350°F or convection oven to 275°F (low fan).
- Pour Vanilla Cake Mix into mixing bowl of a stand/counter-top mixer. Using paddle on low speed, gradually add warm water. Continue mixing on low for 30 seconds.
- Scrape down sides of bowl and mix on medium for 2-3 minutes. Then, fold the dried apricots into the batter.
- Spread batter into 2 prepared 8" cake rounds. Bake 20-23 in a conventional oven or 19-21 minutes in a convection oven (or until done).
- When cooled, split each cake in half evenly, yielding 2 layers per round.
- Prepare frosting by adding the chilled water to the 3.3 ounces (1/2 package) Whipped Topping Mix and stir with a whisk until incorporated. Add this mixture to a stand mixer and whip for 6-7 minutes. Stir the preserves well, then gently fold into the whipped topping. Frost cake immediately and chill until serving time.