Our Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a healthier and easier to make version that is still full of delicious pineapple flavor.
What You'll Need:
1 - 20 ounce can sliced pineapple
1 - 8 ounce jar maraschino cherries 1/2 package (10 ounces) Vanilla Cake Mix
3/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon Pineapple Gelatin Mix
2 cups boiling water
1/2 package (3.3 ounces) Whipped Topping Mix
1/2 cup chilled water
Yields: 12 serving
- Preheat conventional oven to 350°F or convection oven to 290°F (low fan).
- Line the bottom of a spring-form pan with a round piece of parchment paper. Evenly space the pineapple slices around the bottom of the pan and place the cherries inside the pineapple slices.
- In a mixing bowl, add warm water to the Vanilla Cake Mix. Using paddle, mix on low for 30 seconds, then scrape down sides of the bowl. Continue mixing on medium for 2-3 minutes. Spread cake batter evenly over pineapple and cherries. Bake for 23 minutes in a conventional oven or 17-19 minutes in convection oven (or until done).
- Cool cake for 30 minutes. If necessary, remove outer ring of the pan and slice the top of the cake to make a flat surface. Then replace the outer ring.
- Stir Pineapple Gelatin Mix into boiling water until completely dissolved. Cool to room temperature.
- Stir Whipped Topping into chilled water and 1 cup of the prepared gelatin. Using whip attachment, mix on low for 1 minute, then whip on highest speed for 5-6 minutes. Cover and chill until ready to use.
- Using a skewer, make several holes through the top of the cake. Pour remaining 1 cup of the gelatin evenly across the top of the cake, allowing it to soak in. Cover the cake and refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Once the cake is completely chilled, remove the outer ring and turn the cake upside down on a serving plate. Carefully remove the bottom portion of the pan and parchment from the cake.
- Frost the sides of the cake with the Pineapple Whipped Topping. Using a pastry bag with a decorative tip, pipe the remaining topping on the top edges of the cake. Chill until ready to serve.